Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mediocre burger with a great view at Country Club, Wynn

Without a doubt my favorite hamburger has been the dry-aged prime offering from Father's Office in Los Angeles. Well I can tell it still is and probably will be for very long time, especially if all other burgers turn out anything like the 1/3lb of overcooked mediocrity I had at The Country Club restaurant in the Wynn, Las Vegas. We arrived at the adjacent hotel--Encore--a bit early for our check-in time so we decided to grab lunch at Country Club and kill an hour or so. Situated across from the 18th hole of the Wynn golf course, Country Club describes itself as "the new American steak house", and serves mostly bistro fare.

As you can probably guess, I ordered the hamburger, medium rare. Here you go:



Firstly, it was way overcooked--I'm talking medium well to well-done. Not good. I didn't bother sending it back because I was quite the hungry tourist and it had already taken these people 30 minutes to send out our food. The meat--dry and flavorless. The bun--almost stale-like in taste and is clearly taking up way too much real-estate. If you're going to use day-old bread then at least toast it, yes?



The fries were seasoned well but just OK in taste and texture. I ended up eating more of the bread and salted butter.

My wife ordered the Cobb salad with shrimp. This was actually very good and I finished half of it for her. Large shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, pork fat, and crisp greens. Exxxxcccellent.


Service was dismal -- our waiter didn't even show us a drink menu or offer us drinks. And after taking our order, she wasn't to be seen until our food arrived some 30-minutes later. And this place is not cheap -- our burger and salad came out to about $55 with tax and tip. Not a do-over for us two.

The absolute best part of this lunch was the view. We could easily see a foursome playing on the 18th hole; I can't imagine playing in 110-degree heat (although I clearly had no issue playing in 99-degree heat just a few weeks earlier in Encino, CA). And on the other side of the 18th green is a nice wide waterfall, a perfect distraction you can blame when you miss your birdie put.


This is what I look like in 110-degree heat (view from the restaurant patio)


And I suppose this picture is either better or worse, depending on your viewpoint :)

1 comment:

  1. There seems to be a theme here...I am always still hungry after eating my meals in Vegas. I am clearly mis-ordering and need more substance!

    ReplyDelete