Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Breakfast at Camp

Our all-guys annual golf-camping trip took place last month, and despite a heavy downpour on the first night, extremely good times were had by all. Here's a pic of my tent several hours after the rainfall:

Not to worry, I was completely dry inside and actually slept very well.

No camping trip (especially an all-guys trip) is without some serious artery-clogging campsite grub. Our friend Mike brought his stove, which somehow was named "Three times a lady", and this was our ticket to some fine breakfast burritos, porterhouse steaks, short ribs, teriyaki chicken, and, well, hot dogs. BTW when is the last time you named your stove or any appliance/cooking-apparatus?


I believe that's 24 eggs on the griddle portion of the stove. Remember we're feeding 6 hungry golfers.


The meats and a few onions.


More egg scramble action, with the bacon precisely situated within the mass of eggs.


Sorry I don't have any pics of the assembled burritos -- I was, um, way too occupied scarfing down not one but two enormousness bacon-sausage-egg burritos wrapped in the biggest tortillas Ralph's has to offer. And you know what goes well with breakfast burritos, Guinness. Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,

    Love the site and the reviews. Erin and I have written for the Zagat guide for quite a few years. We love food and fine dining as well. I am constantly talking to people about new places we have discovered or finding "the best xxx".

    I do have to say the "Man Scramble" was epic on this camping trip. I have made a lot of breakfast burritos (in fact I tought Mike the technic on a previous trip), but those where some of the best. Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the Guiness, or maybe it was like our "last meal", some sort of premonition of our impending execution on the golf course by La Purisima that day.

    Keep up the good work.

    Josh Hyatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Josh! I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I wish I had taken more pics of the food that week. And I can't believe I finished three breakfast burritos on Saturday - I'm clearly a better eater than a golfer. Looking forward to next years trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how my husband ate so much food and drank so much beer that weekend. His digestive system should have imploded.

    ReplyDelete