Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Japanese-Italian Fusion at Blue Marlin

Last weekend was quite eventful with a visit from the in-laws, our Westside Tavern outing, a drive to OC, and hosting Sunday brunch for 8 people. It all concluded nicely on Sunday night with a rare visit from my nephew Andrew and his girlfriend Brianne when they stopped by for dinner. I asked what they were in the mood for and they requesting fusion--leaning towards Mexican/Asian fusion. I really can't think of a Mexican/Asian fusion place in the Westside other than Kogi at the Alibi Room, so if other readers and bloggers have any tips, feel free to send them my way or post in the comments area.

I mentioned to both of them about Blue Marlin and their Japanese-Italian fusion offerings of pastas, curries, and Japanese egg dishes known as omurice. Sold! We shuttled over to Sawtelle boulevard, found side street parking, and waltzed right in and grabbed a table. This area is actually a 10-minute walk from my house and the weather was pefect outside, but please, we're So Cal residents. 'Nuff said. By the way, Furaibo is directly across the street, so without the delay, here's the obligatory link to my review.


Having had a rough and busy weekend, I was in the mood for some booze so I asked for the house cold sake:


It was OK. Nothing special but then again it was only $5. Actually it wasn't bad until my curry entree came out, which did not pair well with the sake taste (spicy food with a dry sake -- I should have known that).


Here's the salad that came with our entrees:

It was just OK. The greens were wet from just being washed. I didn't expect much so thus I guess you could say my expectations were met.


Brianne ordered the Rosemary Chicken:

No complaints from her and she nearly finished the plate.


Andrew went all-in and got the hamburger omurice:


I've had this before and can attest to its flavor indulgence. It's a huge serving that would easily feed two; he finished half and took the rest home.


My entree--vegetable curry; extra spicy of course:


Excellent. The curry was hot, spicy, flavorful and not too salty. The veggies were a little overcooked and the potatoes were a tad undercooked, but that's OK considering the very reasonable price of this item at $8. I should point out that this was actually my second dinner of the night, as I had polished off dinner #1 a few hours earlier because I was so hungry. It didn't matter because this curry was so good! I still finished it.

Yes, two complete dinners and 1/2 of a DQ Blizzard. Somebody went for an extra long walk that night with the dog.


Blue Marlin
2121 Sawtelle Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic place, thank you Dan!
    -Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Next time I'll take you to Kogi BBQ at the Alibi Room in Culver City. You've got to try it at least once =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, sounds mediocre. i went once a long time ago and wasn't impressed. the only thing that looks good is your curry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record: Curry House > Hurry Curry > Blue Marlin > Sawtelle Kitchen.

    At least when it comes to curry.

    Nijiya and (I think) Trader Joe's have boxed curry mixes which are very good, no MSG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I passed on dinner that night and I don't think I missed out on anything. I am just not a fan of this cuisine. It doesn't even look appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I don't think you'd like it. Sawtelle Kitchen was better.

    KogiBBQ review coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very intrigued...the closest thing I can think of to this is thei Pancetta roll we have with pancetta and i think Italian sausage and tomato and basil in a sushi roll.

    That Omurice looks pretty good though...LA is just so much bigger than Vancouver so you guys will have more of this stuff in general...I love living in diverse/multi-cultural cities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm that Pancetta roll sounds interesting :). The omurice is very good and is probably the best dish here. The curry is good, too, but there's place next door and another across the street that serve better curry. Sill, this is decent place and it's rarely crowded.

    ReplyDelete