Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Daniel's Pizzeria -- Best pies in LA?

As I've stated in a previous post, pizza making is something in which I take great pride and enjoyment. Having worked at a pizzeria many years ago, I know a few things about this culinary undertaking and I continue to learn new tricks every time I craft pizzas at home.

Firstly, I make the dough from scratch using high quality bread flour such as King Arthur. Sure you can buy prepared dough or even--gasp--Boboli--but with hand-made dough you can control the sugar, salt, rise time, yeast amounts, and everything else involved with making artisinal pizza dough. All of this ultimately leads to a crispy outside with chewy, doughy inside texture that store-bought doughs and crusts strive to achieve.

As for dough recipes, the internet is flooded with all sorts of creations but the one that has never failed me is Tyler Florence's basic dough recipe. It's a perfect balance of saltiness and sweetness, and is relatively easy to handle and stretch. I also employ a two-rise process where I let the dough rise in a 90-degree oven for about two hours, then punch and reshape and let slow rise in the fridge for one or two days. This, combined with a really hot oven and a quality pizza stone, is how the Mozza's of the world achieve that crispy, airy, bubbly texture.

Now this is a critical step in making pizza at home: you need to use a good quality pizza stone to obtain that crispiness found at pizzerias:


I purchased mine from Surfas in Culver City for $50; you can find good stones at any restaurant supply store. Don't be a cheapskate and settle for one of those paper-thin Playskool stones at Bed Bath and Beyond. The thin design can't retain heat very well, leading to a soggy crust, and it's more prone to cracking. I've cracked two of those girlie stones before finally manning up and purchasing the grown-up version.

Speaking of heat, you need to set your oven to its highest heat setting and it needs to preheat for a while. I set my dial to a point just below the "Broil" setting which is probably around 550-degrees, and I let it pre-heat for at least 45 mins. Don't rely on the preheat light to turn off; let the oven continue to heat as this allows the stone to build up to an intensely high temperature, giving you that crispy crust and soft center.

You'll also need a pizza peel; actually you might want to get two:

Why two? If you're making multiple pizzas then you'll need one peel to extract the finished pizza, and the other to hold the next pizza for preparation and insertion, as you'll see the upcoming pictures.

A few pics of the dough and ingredients:

Tyler's dough recipe puts out three 10" pizzas or two 15"s, give or take a few "s. The smaller 10" rounds are easier to handle but require more time since you have to cook three pizzas.


Punched and ready to poke, prod, and stretch.


Organic roma tomatoes, garlic infused olive oil, mushrooms, chopped rosemary.


Assembly:

Dough tossing. What can I say? This takes practice, and yet I still choke under pressure. Oh wait, that's my golf game.






Looks like the cleaning crew has arrived early.


My friends from all the internets, I give you the finished products (click for larger pics):

Mozzarella, mushrooms, yellow peppers, rosemary, olive oil.


Mozzarella, mushrooms, yellow peppers, prosciutto.


Spinach, garlic infused oil, tomatoes, mozzarella, feta, Parmesan, and rosemary (no sauce).


Mozza has nothing on me


Riva who?


I should start my own pizza truck, and I shall name it "Crusty Wheels."


Everyone gets to partake in pizza night:

True story: Pebbles doesn't like PinkBerry, but loves YogurtLand, just like her dad.


As for taste, these pies are far better than any chain pizzeria--in fact they're in a whole different league to be honest. Better than Mozza, Riva, Ortica, Gjelina? What? Are you kidding me? You know you're asking the wrong person! But I will gladly put my creations up against any pie LA or OC has to offer. Keep an eye out for that pizza truck.

Special thanks to my wife for playing the paparazzi part.


Daniel's Pizzeria
West LA

FoodDigger Score: 42 million.

9 comments:

  1. Dan's wife here, weighing on on the blog. OK, I'll have to have a talk with him about his gender references - female, weak? We'll just see about that. But I digress. Yes, my husband takes great pride in his pizza. Can you tell? But to be honest, this is the best damn homemade pizza around. I can't ever eat restaurant pizza again knowing that I get the best pizza at home. :-)

    And who says Pebbles doesn't like Pinkberry? She loves any yogurt - it's her dad who doesn't like the portion control at Pinkberry and instead, loves the gallon-sized servings at Yogurtland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlie stone.

    Remember when Hieu and Elaine came over? That stone shattered right when I opened the door. I could have been injured! And that would have been the world's first injury by pizza stone. Not funny!

    The last time Pebbles and I walked to Pinkberry (you were out of town) she wouldn't lick the bowl. She has standards, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! spinach pizza looks good! so, when are you having a dinner party? :P

    btw, your dog is sooo cute! what kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thanks! That spinach & 3-cheese pizza was off the hook! Had some for lunch today - yum! Yeah I should throw some pizza + dessert parties.

    Pebbles is a 5-year old Jack Russell Terrier. 15lbs of trouble and 'tude , I'm telling you, but she takes care of me when I'm sick :).

    I'll let her know of your comments.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm drooling... that shot of the spinach one has done me in. I need pizza STAT. How about I bring the wine, you make the pizza?!

    Seriously looks amazing, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Shelley! I should bring a pie or two to the Riva event and serve to unsuspecting customers, just like in those Carl's Jr. commercials :)

    Customer in Riva: "Wow this pizza is delicious!"
    Server: "It's actually from the truck outside, Crusty Wheels"
    Customer: "Really! Unbelievable!"

    I really should host a pizza dinner--I have a few other recipes up my sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your crust should ideally be a little more burnt, but those pies still look beautiful! If you live in WLA, check out the pizzas at La Bottega Marino. I've lived in CT, MA, and NYC, so I'm super picky about my pizza. La Bottega's pies are the best I've found -- better than Joe's or Vito's. Try the Atomica.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @BigMouth - yep the crust could be a little more burnt, especially in the first two, but certain members of the household (not me!) won't eat it if too burnt. La Botegga is very close to us so I will definitely give it try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just an FYI to the readers and subscribers, last week I posted this entry to a ChowHound board and lots of people have chimed in with their ideas, tips and some criticisms (bring it on!)

    Link:
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/646106

    ReplyDelete